What is the B.C. Employer Training Grant?
The Province of British Columbia has negotiated a new Workforce Development Agreement (WDA) with the Government of Canada that replaces the Canada-B.C. Job Grant. The new WDA provides B.C. with more funding and flexibility to address provincial labour market needs. The new program is called the B.C. Employer Training Grant.
British Columbia strives to build a strong, sustainable, innovative economy with a focus on poverty and inequality reduction. We are working to create good-paying jobs for British Columbians while ensuring people from every background have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
The B.C. Employer Training Grant (ETG) provides up to $8 million in funding for employers to support skills training for their current and new employees in the fiscal year 2018/2019.
The goal of the ETG is to help unemployed and employed British Columbians access the skills training they need to adapt to the changing requirements of jobs and the labour market while encouraging employer involvement in training of their employees.
This program is designed to assist employers in providing skills training to new or current employees that will develop skills and certification, upgrade skills needed due to automation and enhance productivity.
The maximum an employer can receive per fiscal year (April 1st to March 31st) is $300,000 in total government funding.
Who is Eligible for the B.C. Employer Training Grant?
- All employers operating within B.C. in the private and non-profit sectors including unions (See Criteria for a full description of eligible applicants). Indigenous governments, band and tribal councils are also eligible to apply
- At the time of application, applicants must have been registered with B.C. Registry Services for at least 1 year and have had a current B.C. business licence for at least 1 year. A Business BCeID Account is also required in order to apply, please note it may take up to 3 weeks to receive your BCeID. Please click here to apply for your BCeID
- Public sector employers are not eligible; this includes: provincial or federal governments, Crown corporations, hospitals, regional and provincial health authorities*, schools, public post-secondary institutions, and federal and provincial agencies
How Do I Apply?
Applications to B.C. Employer Training Grant take place under one of three streams:
Stream 1: Foundational Training Stream – This stream supports unemployed, underemployed and low-skilled British Columbians to obtain the essential, transferrable and certified skills to increase their job security and obtain good-paying jobs. Industry or sector certification, apprenticeship, trades training, early childhood education certification and accredited essential skills training fall under this category.
Approved applications for training under this stream will receive reimbursement of 100 percent of the eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant. No contribution is required from the employer. The participant must have a job at the end of training.
Stream 2: Technical Skills Training Stream – This stream supports employers to train current or new employees in technical skills in response to automation and technological advancements, such as new software, technology or machinery.
Approved applications for training under this stream will receive reimbursement of 80 percent of the eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant. The employer is required to contribute the remaining 20 percent.
Stream 3: Workforce Training Stream – This stream supports employers to upgrade their employees’ skills and develop their workforce.
The resource document Choosing the Right Stream? is available to assist you in your stream selection.
To view frequently asked questions relating to the B.C. Employer Training Grant, click here.
Apply for each of the streams:
Ace Trades and technical Institute can help
We can help recommend skill-based red seal training and assist with the CAJG application submission.
- Contact us at:
- Unit #210, 8120 128 Street ( Payal Business centre, Surrey, BC V3W 1R1
- Monday to Saturday: 9 am – 6 pm
- Toll free:1-855-IP1Exam-1-855-471-3926